Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DIY baby project: Teeny-Tiny Bath Scrubbies

teeny tiny bath scrubbies
I have had a year of babies.

And now lots of people I love are about to have babies.

So I’m going to share some of my favorite baby things that you can make as little projects. They are quick and easy and cute and useful. All good things!

teeny tiny bath scrubbies2
The first one I’m going to share happened by accident. As most of you know I was on bed rest for quite a while. I needed my hands to be busy, but really when it comes down to it I really didn’t finish making almost anything. (unless you count two babies.) So I had lots of partial projects. I ended up having several little crocheted squares that were floating around and somewhere along the way I threw them in the bath with the babies and ended up loving them!

Here's an action shot for you:

bath scrubby: in action



They are only about 3 inch squares, so they are teeny tiny and cute! The babies like ‘em and they scrub great! Did your grandma ever make you those crocheted dish cloths? Well mine did, and they scrubbed like the dickens. I loved those things, (I sense another project coming on…) and these little cuties are along the same lines. They are tiny for tiny body parts, but you put a little shampoo on there and it is great for their scalp, too.

Here's a little game we play:

First you put it on her head.  Then you see what happens.

bath scrubby: games

bath scrubby: games in the tubba-scrub-scrub

Then you put it on her head again and again.

This is a great take-along project. I like to have something to do in carpool lines and waiting rooms and usually have something like this in my bag. You can get these done super fast and they’re great for scrap yarn, too.

pinkie lee



(If you don’t have any babies to bathe, you could always make some for yourself—they make great little face cleansing cloths, too.)



You crochet-ers out there, just go and do. But for those of you who like a good recipe, I have taken the liberty to write it down for ya. (if you google “learn to crochet,” you’ll find tons of tutorials, both illustrated and video.)

crocheting

Teeny-Tiny Bath Scrubbies


Chain 11

Row 1: sc 2nd ch from hook, 1 sc in each ch across row, ch1, turn

Row 2: 10 sc across row, ch 1, turn.

Rows 3-10: same as row 2

Fasten off

scrubby scrub, go have fun in the tub.

xo
Brittany

10 comments:

LindaO said...

I LOVE this idea! My mom used to make those dish clothes adn I LOVED them! I'm so making some this week! Thanks for the idea!

Emma Jo said...

I am no crochet-er, meaning, those directions looked like you passed out on your keyboard...but I can manage a straight scarf so I think I could do those...so many cute colors and so perfectly tiny and scrubby. Love them!

A-Kap said...

I'm not a big crochet gal, but I might just have to knit some o' these for my twinsies.... Such a perfect bath toy and scrubber all in one!

Anonymous said...

What a neat project! I will have to whip some of those up!!

Anonymous said...

What kind of yarn did you use? These are so cute.

Nancy G said...

I so love the idea and the pic of your little one is just too darn cute! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I think I have enough "leftovers" from making dishcloths that I can make these!!!! Thanks for sharing! 😀

necapricorn said...

This size is also wonderful to use as "refillable" dryer sheets. So many posts online to use 1/2 sponges but these are great too (no babies in my house). I use solid colors for dryer sheets and varigated for facial cleaning/toner so I don't get too confused, LOL, I'm old!

Pseudopixie said...

Hi Brittany, I love these little bath scrubbies. I made some to donate to a nonprofit who gives away items to mom's in need. They suggested to make a small print out to go with it showing your pictures you have of your child playing with one in the tub. I wanted to see if you mind if I print out 2 of the pictures to use to give the scrubbies away? Thank you! - :) Connie

Unknown said...

Hi, Connie! What a great idea! Thank you for asking me; I would be so happy to let you do that! Xoxo Brittany