Thursday, July 27, 2006

Bloggy Tour of Homes

DSC04172

I was asked to participate in the Bloggy Tour of Homes, and it wasn’t all that hard to convince me. I feel like the biggest physical, temporal blessing that I have been given is my home. I am soothed by my surroundings constantly. It is a consistent work in progress and I enjoy that process. I have a quote hanging in my entry way (which is all planned out in my head for a big make-over) that I love—it describes my feelings more adequately than I can:


To us, our house was not insentient matter—it had a heart and a soul and eyes to see us with, and approvals and solicitudes and deep sympathies; it was of us and we were in its confidence, and lived in its grace and in the peace of its benediction. We never came home from an absence that its face did not light up and speak out its eloquent welcome—and we could not enter it unmoved.
~Mark Twain

When I was in High School, I started having this reoccurring dream. It wasn’t a long dream, by any means, just a simple scene. I was standing outside looking up at the night sky, as I have found myself doing constantly, my whole life. There was an enormous tree to my left. But the best and most memorable part of this dream is the feeling I had while I was standing there. It was one of total peace, contentment and satisfaction.

That is the dream in its entirety.

There were a few years in there that were pretty hard. Nothing seemed to be going as planned and I felt overcome at times with our trials. This dream came again, and I knew that eventually, things would be okay. I knew that I would be at peace. I knew that this was my Father’s way of comforting me.

One day I woke up in my tiny apartment and thought: What are we waiting for?!? We need to buy a house! I was a woman on a mission. I was overcome with the feeling that it was time. After looking at a good amount of houses, we walked through THE house. We loved it. We made an offer, and in the middle of the negotiations, the sellers backed out telling us that someone else had made an offer that matched their original asking price. We were devastated. But for some reason I felt peace. I kept telling the hubs, “We prayed about it, and we got an answer. I know it was our answer. I can not doubt. I don’t know how it will happen, but I feel like it’s our house, and we will live there.” We waited and waited for what seemed like an eternity, but was really only about two weeks (in which our realtor probably got sick of our moping and comparisons with THE house). Then the sellers called us and asked if we were still interested.

The night we moved in, there were boxes all over with pathways to move through from room to room. I was exhausted. The kids were finally asleep in their new bedrooms, and I was laying on the couch remarking that it already felt like home, when I decided to see what the view of the stars looked like from the back patio. I walked out the sliding glass door and turned to view the night sky filled with my constellation friends, and suddenly, I was in my dream—the huge tree to my left, the peace and contentment that all was right. I turned to see if I could see myself watching from the angle I had seen it so many times in my dream, but all my eyes showed me was the ivory siding staring back at me. I knew we were in the right place at the right time.


So, my friendly bloggers who have never seen where I live, welcome to my home.

My Front Door

DSC04008

No one actually uses the front door, though, so I feel like I need to show you the entrance that actually gets used:

DSC04074

DSC02607

what a difference a season or two makes...

Where the Bloggy Magic Happens

DSC04438


Main Living Area (where the family hangs out)

DSC00770

DSC00769

DSC02558

(What, didn't you want to see it at Christmastime??)

Kitchen--the Heart of the Home

DSC00909

DSC00773

My Choice

This is where I was when in my dream (enormous tree to the left that I wish you could see better), and where my family and I spend vast amounts of time.

DSC04170



For more bloggy tours, click here!

47 comments:

Autumn said...

very beautiful...I really enjoyed my tour..stop in and view mine if you have time

Jane said...

this is gorgeous and I love the seasonal pictures, what a great idea!

Mrs Blythe said...

Wow what a beautiful story kind of brought a tear to my eye. I love your house how wonderful that you feel so at home. Many blessings.

Jennifer said...

I love your front door and your back door. I should've included my back door, too, because that is the one that we (and most people) use as well. Your LR looks like Pottery Barn or something. Your post and how you came to your home was very beautiful.

Pickalish said...

Beautiful, I felt like I could have sat around and visited all morning!

The Lily said...

I am in love with the exposed beams in the house. I covet them. :)

Sue said...

Your home is lovely and inviting...

Kim from Hiraeth said...

you hooked me with the clothesline!

How clever of you to include Christmas pictures!

Mama Duck said...

Ah, snow, how I miss it!! Beautiful house, I love the hanging baskets (and the Christmas tree, hee hee).

Lindsay said...

GREAT pics!!!! I wish we has snow like that in TX

kaliblue said...

Lovely home. Thanks for sharing with us:-).
Have A Great Weekend!!!

Kathleen Marie said...

What a fabulous house with a back yard to die for! I can't wait to landscape our home. I LOVE the basket idea! Wonderful! Very warm and inviting. Thanks for sharing!

Lucky Candice said...

Britt - It's wonderful! I miss you even more now. The house is cozy and inviting. When can I come over and play?

LC

Trisha said...

You have a wonderful home and should be very rpoud. Love the ceilings and the homeiness!!

PEA said...

What a beautiful home you have..I love your furniture and all the decor! Very welcoming!! Your backyard looks delightful and it's no wonder you love to spend so much time there:-)

Tanya said...

Love your house. It's my favourite so far!!!

dcrmom said...

What a neat house!

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

what a wonderful, wonderful home!! I love it!!!! the backyard is just perfect. thanks for including the story of it all - it ws so great to read.

CHEL said...

wow.. love it... the exposed beams, the wood, the yard.. amazing.

Sandra said...

Wonderful home, just loved it.

PastorMac's Ann said...

Woah! What a gorgeous home! I love the ceiling beams (the hanging baskets are a nice touch!) The wood floors and the cabinets. Wow. The seasonal pictures are terrific.

Thanks for inviting us in for a tour.

Beckie said...

Thanks for inviting me!
What a lovely home. And... It was so fun seeing you in the summer and at Christmas time!

Blessings!

Lauren said...

What a wonderful story of how God provided you with a home. Thank you for opening your home to us. It's beautiful.

Heather said...

Beatuiful! I love your back yard!

Monique said...

Wow, so beautiful!! I love the beams in your house. And the pictures of the snow. Very homey house. r u from New England?

keri said...

its so pretty and cozy! and i peeked at some of your card designs...they are so great!! thanks for the tour.

~Jennifer said...

What an inviting home you have, filled with spaces I'd like to sit and linger.

Laura said...

Gorgeous! Thanks so much for the tour :) I love your gardens, and that dream was a fantastic story, it gave me chills a little! Feel free to stop by my little Tour too!!

Robin said...

Just so you know, I always want to see anything at Christmas time! That was my favorite picture next to the one with the snow. I don't see much of that in Dallas, so it cooled me off just looking at it.

Cheryl said...

You have a beautiful home. I love it's country charm. The seasonal pictures were neat too.
But the story was the best part. I even shared it with my husband. God is so good!
Thanks for the visit.

Mountain Mama said...

Thanks for the great tour. You shared some wonderful pictures. Your home is beautiful, and I love the christmas tree.

smhgrace said...

WOW! The story behind your home is really wonderful. That's what a home *should* be! You have quite an eye for decorating. Every photo is beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

Barb said...

What a great home to come in to from that snowy wintry scene. See lots of that around here. Your home is so warm and cozy, it must feel like paradise in the winter. I really enjoyed this little visit.

Gail said...

Your home is lovely and homey! Love the shots of other seasons too.

Christina said...

I love it. What a nice home you have.

Tammy said...

So pretty! I love the beams, and I enjoyed seeing your home in different seasons! Thanks for the tour!

Free In Christ said...

Great story. God is good. Thanks for the pictures. I enjoyed seeing your house. It looks very "comfy"

Chappyswife said...

Oh, I do love your home and I am completely jealous of that amount of snow! Very, very pretty!

Kate said...

Oh that is so cozy and so cute! Thanks for sharing :)

Sarakastic said...

beautiful home and beautiful story

Nancy said...

I loved the story of how you found your house. Lovely.
I like the way all the pictures show the home's beauty and warmth. The backyard is terrific too.
Thanks for sharing.

Jessica said...

WOW! REALLY BEAUTIFUL! I like your Christmas tree and the seasonal pics.!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Mrs. C said...

What a lovely, comfortable home. Thanks for sharing your story with us!

Stephanie said...

Awesome story about your home and a lovely home also. Thanks for the tour!

Shalee said...

Love that backyard! I can see why it is your choice, too.

And how creative to use different seasons to catch the true character of your sweet house.

Thanks for opening your home to us.

Virginia (Jenny) said...

Love your home! Inside and out. :) Where I'm at in Arizona, we never see seasons. :(