Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Chocolate Cake, Please.

DSC05618

I have three more days of being 30. Last year was exciting, not traumatic like I thought it would be to exit the 20’s. I think the apprehension just was in hiding somewhere, because suddenly being 31 sounds so…strange. Am I where I pictured myself in my 30’s?

My mom hates aging—the aging process in general, and I’ve always been impatient with her about it. I think she’s beautiful. She looks unbelievable for a 50-something woman. But now I think I get it. She can’t picture herself as a 50-something woman. Now I can imagine being 50-something and thinking, wait, is this really me? When did this happen? I don’t FEEL 50-something. {It’s happening already! I don’t FEEL 30-something.}

But then there’s this whole other side of me that is so relieved to be 30-something. I am older and wiser than a decade ago. I have more confidence. I am comfortable in my own skin {most of the time}. I have more love in my life. I am better at expressing myself. I know that I still have a lot to learn (as opposed to thinking I know it all), and that’s not threatening, it’s exciting instead.

Deep breath.

This is good, right? I’ve heard the 30’s are great. I’m going to wrap my arms around it, and make sure it’s great.

I’m turning 31 on Saturday!! Bring on the cake!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

30's are about stretching your wings fully into who you are. and cake makes it eve better :) adorable pic! welcome to a new decade...happy birthday.

xo

Anonymous said...

Happy happy joy joy. You're sooo old! Ha ha. I agree with you about the 30s. It's definitely a time of self-discovery in your 20s and in the 30s life slows down and takes shape.

Love you!

LC

Bob the Frog said...

found your blog through boho. love your design work--and yeah, I feel you on the age thing...I'll be 30 in less than two months. I have always been one of those people who say we should age gracefully and I believe in that, but I do stop sometimes and feel in awe of how fast time goes--guess it's motivating me to spend more time doing what makes me happy!!

Darlene said...

Your 30's are great...but then I also have to say that about my forties (only half way there)

yes, wrap your arms around it and hang on :D

lovely girl,
xox darlene

Abby said...

Happy birthday, and amen sista! We went to a football game at our old high school last weekend and proudly toted the kids with paw prints on their faces and took pictures in front of the stadium and there was something so liberating about knowing that I would have been so embarrassed to be doing all that with my family in high school--it's great to be more comfortable with ourselves now, knowing what we know about back then, huh?

Suzie Petunia said...

Recently I've looked at my own face in the mirror and realized it doesn't look like a high-schooler anymore. When did that happen? Life and aging is one crazy trip. Sounds like you're prepared and ready for what lies ahead.

Happy Birthday!

Left-handed Trees... said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday! I turned 31 just a few months ago myself...it feels remarkably like, hmm, let's see...30! I have to say--I do feel very good about moving into my thirties...I know my twenties were about new marriage, pregnancies, breastfeeding, infancy, getting established with education and work. My thirties are (so far)about standing here and watching some of the seeds I planted then just beginning to blossom. Wishing the same for you this year...
Love,
Delia

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! 31 is so young. My philosophy is you will never be this age again so enjoy it! I wish you lots of love and happiness.