Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sunday Scribblings {In The Kitchen}

When we were ready to put an offer on the house we live in now, I was telling my mom about it and she said, “What’s the view from the kitchen sink window? …You’re going to be spending a lot of time there…”

Oh, how right she was. I have spent hours upon countless hours chopping, dicing and sautéing; sweeping and serving and wiping; watching children spin and chase and fall. I have come to know the changing of the seasons by the way the sun angles in through the windows rather than the pages on the calendar. I know which windows to open to enjoy the maximum amount of fresh air, and cross breezes; which month the Miss Kim blossoms, the lilac smell permeating the room making me swoon. I have started to place my flowers strategically in the garden, planning on how it will look from the inside looking out, rather than from the road passing by. My kitchen gets dirtied the fastest and most often of any other room in the house and cleaned multiple times daily. The dishes go in and out of the cupboards, the food rotates through its endless cycles, the days move from one to the next at a dizzying pace, and the kitchen is the setting of it all.

I love my kitchen. It is full of sunlight and love. Its’ floor is made from wide pine boards that are 200 years old. Someone has been preparing food, entertaining, sustaining life, and watching growth within its walls that whole time. Lucky for me, I’m that person today.

More Sunday Scribblings here.

5 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

What a beautiful description of a kitchen! You make me WANT to enjoy my time in my kitchen more. Maybe I need 200 year old pine floors...

Unknown said...

Your kitchen sounds so wonderful.
I love floors with character and imagine that yours have a bit of a slant to them in places.
The view from the kitchen window is crucial and as I have moved from apartment to apartment I have not liked it one bit when I didn't have the window over the sink.

Dallas and Krista said...

You do have a very wnoderful kitchen- you should take a picture so that those who haven't been there can see just how totally and utterly charming it is...

gautami tripathy said...

Your love for your kitchen shimes through your post. Beautiful straight from heart post.



gautami
Cook up a tale

Emma Jo said...

Darn...you're house sounds so dreamy and romantic...it would sell way faster than ours.
I would buy your house, would you leave everything in it?