Saturday, August 18, 2007

Compliments

balance

When I was checking out at the orthopedic surgeon’s office, the girl at the desk was getting more of my information and when she asked for my birth date, she wrote it down and looked at it for a second and then looked at me and said, “Wow! I thought you were maybe 20 years old! You look great!”

When I was at the chiropractor, I sat down on the table and he said, “You know what I like about you? You’ve got great energy. Even though you’ve been in pain…some people come in here and drain all the good energy from the room. I see a lot of people and a lot of people in pain. I like your energy and I can tell it’s just going to get better as you get better.”

Sometimes it’s easy to believe the worst about yourself. Sometimes people can be rude. I hate it when people are mean. It’s so much harder to believe the compliments than the negative. But what if we all have good and bad; negative and positive—to make things balance out? What if the good things ARE true? It could really change my life.

I’m going to make an effort to be more complimentary to people. Try to tell them the things I’m noticing about them but that I forget to voice. It just feels so nice to get a good compliment.