Sunday, July 4, 2010

happy 4th!

patriotic
Red velvet cupcakes
(the best pinwheel tutorial here.  I thought, I bet there's a pinwheel tutorial online; I googled it; I made them.  (but I used pins and jewelry making plyers and twisted them around skewers.))

Hope your Independence Day was a good one! 
Here are a few pix of the end of our day:

lighting the sparklers

_MG_6617

_MG_6626

_MG_6628

_MG_6629

_MG_6631

They were amazed.


I'm going to sleep well tonight!
red velvet yummies

Post Edit:
Sure, I'll post the recipes!

I used Martha's red velvet recipe and for the frosting I used America's Test Kitchen's recipe for vanilla frosting.  Most of the time cream cheese frosting is used as a companion frosting for red velvet, but we have some folks who don't eat cream cheese, so I thought I'd substitute vanilla.

Quick and Rich Vanilla Frosting

Makes 3 cups
start to finish: 10 minutes

2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch salt
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar

Stir the cream, vanilla, and salt together in a small bowl until the salt dissolves.  Beat the butter with an electric mixer on med-high until smooth, 30 to 60 seconds.  Reduce the speed to med-low, slowly add the confectioner's sugar, and beat until smooth, 2 to 5 minutes.  Beat in the cream mixture.  Increase the speed to med-high and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, 4 to 8 minutes.

(I love my America's Test Kitchen cook book.  I would highly recommend it!  They give very clear instructions and lots of tips and variation ideas.)

1 comment:

Renee said...

Britt, please post the red velvet cupcakes and frosting recipe. :)