Tuesday, February 13, 2007

SPC: black & white

IMG_0928

I'm tired. I'm so tired. I'm tired of being sick and taking care of sick children.

Today I picked my oldest up from school (she's finally back after missing an entire week), and went to pick up some new contacts (among other things) from Sam's Club. Only my prescription had run out. And I've been wearing two Left ones for the past couple days. That can give one a head ache (and I've had enough head aches for one person in a month). The bakery was closed, and that means no free sample cookies for little people, and that set them off on all kinds of tantrums (not only are they hungry (and slightly addicted to sugar), they are also sick, so don't judge too harshly right now while you're imagining a cart of 3 children complaining rather loudly that none of the free samples are good enough and they just want a cookie.) So I had to drive 20 more minutes (with a huge carton of blueberries for the littles to snack on) to my eye doc so they could give me a "free sample" for my right eye so I could last until next week when I have a new eye appointment scheduled. Then we went to get some groceries as there is a Nor'easter a comin' (a big snow storm for you west coasters) but by the time I got to the parking lot, I was just so tired...and the youngest was screaming and the middle one had a fever and was listless and the oldest was asleep (and when she's awakened from a sleep, LOOK OUT!), so I just sat there in the parking lot trying to figure out what to do. Finally I just drove home with my head pounding and my little one squirming and screaming and the middle one listless and the oldest sleeping. Until we got 2 minutes from home and the oldest one woke up and started screaming too.

My mom says some days are like that. Even in Australia. (That's from Alexander and his Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. One of my personal favorites, but my kids are sick of it so I never get to read it to them any more.)

So, there must be some good things to talk about, even though I just want to go to sleep and wake up in the spring when we're all healthy and I feel fresh and my head has finally stopped pounding...hold on, let me think for a sec...

Oh yeah! I've got the perfect thing. Something wonderful: Hubs and I are headed to NYC this weekend--just overnight, but still--and we get to just be us, and go out to eat, and watch a show on Broadway dressed up fancy and stay in Times Square and sleep in the next morning. Doesn't that sound great?

More black and white here.

12 comments:

Kathleen said...

hee...love the scene in the car...lol

also lovelovelove alexander and the horrible, no good, very bad day! (one of the reasons i am a teacher...fer real)

and, i can't help but imagine you and your husband SLEEPING the whole time you are in nyc.

spring is coming. pretend you don't see all that snow coming down.

Anonymous said...

Well you may be sick but you still look gorgeous dahling. No seriously, you're beautiful. Everything about this picture makes me miss you - the hair that grew out, the trees painted in the background, the new camera, the beautiful top.

Have fun this weekend and get your much needed rest!

LC

Suzie Petunia said...

Well if those 2 different scenerios don't scream "OPPOSITION IN ALL THINGS!" I don't know what does. I'm glad you have a fabulous weekend to look forward to - to balance out the crappity day you had. I'm so sorry. Days like that with sick kids are so hard. I hope everyone is better soon.

jess said...

i think you may have stolen my life. lemme check real quick...

nope. bad coincidence. i guess days like this remind you to embrace the really good days.

hang in there!

Left-handed Trees... said...

Beautiful photo--seriously, how did you manage to pull that off with the February mayhem! I know about days like these, and it isn't half as pretty...
Love,
D.

nina beana said...

despite your sickies, you still look rockin' in this pic! hope you have a great weekend- it sounds awesome.

Unknown said...

Oh, please don't let the pic fool you. I had just showered and gotten ready for the day. By the time the car episode ensuded, I had a bulky sweater on, my hair in a pony tail, I had been feverish and sweaty multiple times and my nose was red and raw. Not so pretty. But thanks for making me feel good:)

xo

Colorsonmymind said...

The first things I thought was "wow she is so beautiful".

I know these kind of days-minus two-since I only have one. I have sat in my car wondering what to do-to end up turing around and just going home.
Hope this weekend is delightful.

Hugs

Kara said...

The contacts thing cracked me up, classic. Stupid eye balls, they just make everything bad, worse.

I don't know how anyone gets anything important done with kids. Everytime I really need to get things done I end up staying up really late, drop them off at a friend's for a couple hours or make Chris take a vacation day. Any other time I am just in survival mode and do whatever it takes to get them into bed at the end of the day without feeling too bad about myself when it's all over and done with. So what I'm trying to say is that no one is judging...

Dallas and Krista said...

You always have little contact problems. Poor thing with crapy eyes! At least they work and can be fixed with contacts, what a wonderful thing! Sorry about your horribal eno good very bad day... i feel like i have a lot of those lately too and I only have one kid. But I am always sick and the babe is always sick and the little squirt in me just takes everything out of me!

NYC sounds like the perfect refuge. I am so happy that you get to do that together. Have SO MUCH FUN! And did I mention how beautiful you look in this picture? You do!

Carrie Ann said...

Poor baby...bless it's heart. It sounds like you need a childless-aunt to come and stay with you for a few days. When I'm rich (rich-er...I mean) I will be there!

Vanessa said...

Brit
I just put up a blog and I forgot I had yours saved, you have the best blog. You word everything so beautifuly and your pictures are great. You have such a pretty house! Do you have certain magazines/books that you get inspiration from to decorate?