Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sunday Scribblings: Crush

When I was in third grade, I had a crush on Craig. (I was tempted for a moment to put his last name, but I’ve learned my lesson.) I used to stare at him with dreamy eyes and take in his blonde hair and clear blue eyes. When our pictures arrived from picture day, we made an exchange, and he gave me one of the large ones. I knew I had him then. When I say I “had him” I mean to say that he had a crush on me, too, for in third grade I didn’t communicate well, and there was no smooching to be had. So dreamy stares and silly giggles were what consumed me.

Then one day I heard that Craig held Courtney’s hand. My crushy world was shattered. Luckily for me, there was Whitney Houston on the radio singing “All At Once.” I still can remember how those lyrics touched my 8 year old heart.

All at once
I looked around and found that you were with another love
In someone else's arms,
And all my dreams were shattered, all at once
All at once
The smile that used to greet me brightened someone else's day
She took your smile away
And left me with just memories, all at once


Oh, Whitney, how you helped me through the hard times. I’ll always be grateful for your depth and wisdom. My tears were shed in the company of your vibrato. My mourning was made complete through your melody. My heart healed while your mouth formed the words of my soul.

I would go on to have crush after never ending crush. I was a professional crusher. I had multiple crushes going on at all times. It sometimes was hard to keep track. There were the celebrity boys, but they were separate from the real boys, and let me tell you, real boys were everywhere. I remember one night coming home from bungee jumping and practically freezing to death, I held the hands of two friends under a blanket in the back seat of a car, unbeknownst to either of them…until the next day—I’m sure, when they were telling each other how they each had stolen kisses with me. Luckily I don’t have to keep track any more. I like love better than loving a crush.

go here for more on crushes.

12 comments:

Abby said...

Oh, the crushes you got me thinking about...you look beautiful in last post and I have missed so many since I've been in la la land with Emily's kids. I hope you all get better and stay that way.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh Whitney... if only she had continued to make good music instead of getting hooked on crack cocaine and bailing Bobby Brown out of jail multiple times... I'm sure it would brighten her life to know that she helped you get over your 3rd grade crush.

Emma Jo said...

I remember once my older sister saying that "spring is the time of year when you have horrible crushes on people that hate you". I wrote it down because it felt so tragically true. I was a professional "crusher" too. It's good to be married. Bless you, I hope you are all well. That last post picture is simply gorgeous lady.

Dallas and Krista said...

Oh you romantic you... I love that about you! This totally made me laugh, so carefree!

Left-handed Trees... said...

Oh man...you were bold, holding two hands at once! I laughed out loud at this one...professional crusher, indeed. So sweet!
Love,
D.

gautami tripathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
gautami tripathy said...

Such a sweet story. Bless Whitney for helping you get over it.


gautami
Painfully yours..

Elspeth said...

This was funny. Especially the Whitney part.

Suzie Petunia said...

I want to know how it is possible to hold hands with two people at once. Seriously - that takes guts. I want more details.

Carrie Ann said...

Britt - you crack me up. Two guys at once? How did your little body contain all that love? Lucky Jake, 'cause he gets you all to himself! Whitney is close to my heart, too. I chuckle at your crush "C". He was such a dope in high school. But who can judge what kind of jerk you turn out to be when you are 9? Remember when I blogged my crushes and my 3rd grade crush googled himself and found it an emailed me? That was awesome...

Kathleen said...

this makes me think of my shorties...i teach third grade and i am constantly getting out the emotional band-aids to mend the crushed ones. of course, i can't tell them i know what is going on...they would be mortified and, of course, deny every bit of it.
so i stand by...and wait...and sweep up the mess...and hug them.

my first serious crush was on a boy named craig, too!

Unknown said...

Suzie: I know, I think I was way too confident for my own good. so lame.

oh, the details...

There are so many to share, I wouldn't know where to start. It would make for a very looooong comment, and I'm not so sure my readers would want me to dedicate an entire post on my silly escapades. But there was a point that night when I realized that I definately blew any chances I had with the one I actually had the crush on, and I felt mad at myself for being such a jerk. But it was fun just the same.

Carrie: I know, it's funny to think about him how you knew him in HS and he was definately NOT crush worthy at that point. But I've got to tell you that in 3rd grade, those eyes were quite dreamy. I almost linked to your "crushin' on you" post in this post because it still makes me laugh...