Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sunday Scribblings {Town and Country}

IMG_2165

When I was in high school I would have described myself as a city girl. My cousins even called us “city slickers” at one point which always made me chuckle. But now there’s no denying my country bumpkin ways. I’ve quite embraced the country life. I can’t get enough of the trees and grass and gardening. How pleasant that my three-year-old took a little nap on the hammock the other day with nothing around but a couple cats, a nice breeze and the sound of the birds. I prefer fresh squeezed lemonade rather than running to the local lemonade-selling-type-store (see? I don’t even know where city folk buy their lemonade!). Water, ice, lemons and sugar. When the blueberries are in season, then I add a little homemade blueberry syrup. How yummy is that?

IMG_2191


You have to admit that it is rather nice to have a cake made from scratch with little flowers from the yard to add the finishing touch…or is it just the bumpkin in me?

IMG_2196

more Sunday scribblings here

edited to add the recipe:
*decoder at the bottom

Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 c. flour
2 c. sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
2 eggs
1 c. hot chocolate
1 c. sour milk**
1/2 c. oil
1 t. vanilla

mix dry together. stir in liquids. beat til mixed thoroughly--will be thin. pour into greased and floured pans. bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. (when touched it should bounce back when it's done)

Chocolate Butter Cream Frosting

6 T. butter
2 2/3 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/3 c. milk
1 t. vanilla

beat butter, blend in sugar and cocoa alternately with milk until smooth. add vanilla

*t=teaspoon
T=tablespoon
c=cup

**when a recipe calls for sour milk or buttermilk, I usually add around a tablespoon of vinegar to the milk, give it a little stir, and let it sit for a few minutes, then it's ready to add in.

I always double this recipe--I'm big on three layer cakes. Make sure to leave at least 1/2" empty in your cake pans or they'll drip and use the leftover batter to make some cup cakes.

9 comments:

Jeni said...

I have been looking for the best chocolate cake recipe ever and I think I have found it - send me that recipe!

Anonymous said...

I love your country bumpkin life. You bring a little city excitement to the country roads. :)

By the way, your cake looks delicious!!

Love you!

Kara said...

A 3 layer cake, well I never! Funny, I've never thought of you as a city girl. I've always pictured you with trees and plants and dirt around in one way or another. Chris even calls you his granola sister-in-law!

Dallas and Krista said...

Yeah i never though of you as a city girl either. You go wonderfully right where you are. Three layer cake... mmmm... and this recipe looks divine i will have to try it, maybe for my birthday! Accept that I have no flowers in my yard to cut- sad. And I REALLY love your cake platter! I am jealous of it... so delicate and sweet.

Left-handed Trees... said...

That nap sounds like the finest one I've heard of in a LONG time!

Molly said...

Oh, your blog makes me want something sweet... that cake... and the homemade syrup. Lovely post!

Mindy said...

mmm...the country never sounded so sweet! love the flowery decorations - they even look good enough to eat. wow, you bake a lot of cakes! very impressive coming from a non baking girl like myself. this post is totally inspiring me to give it a try :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

I try to live a country life in the (small) city. I much prefer homemade and would have no idea where to buy lemonade apart from the organic almost homemade type! Your cake looks great and I'm tempted to use the recipe some day!

Jessi said...

Country living IS living. My favorite thing about where we live is we can walk across the street and feel like we're back in time. (And I am going to make that cake and decorate it just like you!!)